BER (Building Energy Rating) Frequently Asked Questions

What is a BER?

A Building Energy Rating is a label, not unlike the efficiency rating given to white goods such as fridges, freezers, and washing machines. The label indicates the energy rating of a property. The rating is expressed in the form of performance bands, ‘A’ being the most energy efficient to’G’ being the least energy efficient.

To see what a Building Energy Rating Certificate looks like please click here.

When is an Energy Rating legally required?

Since the 1st of January 2007, all new homes for which planning permission has been applied for must have a rating. Transitional exemptions will apply to new dwellings for which planning permission is applied on or before 31 December 2006, where the new dwellings involved are substantially completed on or before 30 June 2008.

Since the 1st of July 2008 Building Energy Rating’s have been required for new non-domestic buildings offered for sale or rent. Transitional exemptions will apply to new non-domestic buildings for which planning permission is applied on or before 30 June 2008 provided the new non-domestic buildings involved are substantially completed by 30 June 2010.

  • 1 January 2009 ratings will be required for any existing buildings offered for sale or letting.

What are the legal implications for non compliance?

There is a maximum fine of up to €5,000 for not getting a Building Energy Rating when required.

How is it calculated?

The calculation includes building fabric, ventilation, space and water heating, and lighting. These values coupled with measurements taken from the drawings of the property culminate in the achievement of an energy label.

The rating is expressed in the form of performance bands, rated on a scale of A to G, with ‘A’ being the most energy efficient, and ‘G’ being the least energy efficient.

How can I improve my Energy Rating?

The Building Energy Rating Certificate comes with an accompanying advisory report. This report outlines recommendations as to what you can do to improve the energy efficiency of your home. You may then choose to implement some or all of the changes outlined.

Some of these recommendations may include:

  • increasing the insulation in the walls/attic/floors
  • installing advanced energy efficient windows/doors
  • measures to achieve controlled, healthy ventilation
  • replace an old or inefficient boiler with a more efficient boiler
  • installing modern heating controls
  • installing certain types of renewable energy heating systems
  • insulating the hot water cylinder and pipe work

The advisory report is a key document for all home buyers. It is particularly useful to those who have just purchased an existing dwelling which they plan to improve or remodel in their early stages of occupancy. This report will outline to you how you can gain the full benefit of energy usage in your home. It will help save you money from the moment you move in.

Is a Rating required for a property for sale from plans?

A Provisional Building Energy Rating is required if you are selling any dwelling from plans. The Provisional BER label must be provided to the potential buyer of the property. This label is based on pre-construction plans. This label lasts for two years from the date of issue.

Whether you require a Building Energy Rating certificate for a new or existing dwelling, a non-domestic or commercial property, Proensol can accommodate you nationwide. For multiple properties please contact us now for favourable discount rates.